Pages

Monday, October 8, 2007

The English language!!

I am very fond of watching the way people behave, their mannerisms, their body language and how can i forget, their language! ....its very interesting and keeps me occupied when I am waiting for someone ( which I hate to!!)....on the road or when I am jus plain bored...as a kid, I had this habit of correcting random people if they make mistakes in english ( not that I was or am perfect in the language, but I am willing to learn if i make mistakes) and friends would scoff that she behaves like she is Shakespeare's sister or something!!!...now, I know better not to correct and my attitude is more of 'oh! whatever...'!!! When some random person sniggers or comments, you will know!!!


Times when people dont listen, they just hear in a conversation. Best example is yours truly. I am someone who talks non-stop and when I talk to friends or anyone for that matter, I have so much to say. In the bargain, I fail to listen to the other person ( which I am not proud of). A friend once told me that even if a cockroach goes by, I will have a story to relate!! Is that good or bad? I dont know....

When people say 'if suppose'? I want to say, but they are both the same!! I am itching to correct them, but I shut up as some sense prevails...

When people say 'oh! you are so childish!!' I am NOT childish, I am child-like....and No! Its not the same. Being childish is to be foolish. While someone who is child-like is someone who has the spontaneity and innocence of a child. To say you are child-like is a compliment, but to say you are childish is to call me a fool! So for people who know me personally, get the cue??

Lots of people say 'I am trying to cope up...'. Since childhood, my mom has told me some infinity times that to say 'cope up..' is wrong english and you can only cope with something...not cope up. So the minute I hear someone say 'cope up', I can visualize my mom's image in the vicinity saying ' that is wrong english'!!

Another image of S conjures up in my mind, when someone says 'lesser than'..According to him, no such term exists...ahem...well...ahem! ( I don't agree with him) He says its either 'less than' or 'lesser'...its NOT 'lesser than'... But it sure reminds me of him. Another classic observation of Mr.S is that apparently, all SOUTH Indians say 'you will look nice....' instead of 'you look nice'....really??? They add a unnecessary 'will' to every sentence...

None of us are experts in the language, but as you learn from your mistakes, you also gain confidence....not just in English anything for that matter in life, am I right? Lots of people who care, correct me when I make grammatical mistakes and I truly appreciate it...honestly I do!

6 comments:

Preeti Shenoy said...

I hate wrong usages too.I am not shakespeare's sister either--but then you dont have to be to respect grammar in a language.
Otherwise as channel V says "we are like this only" LOL

Pretty Woman said...

'We are like this wonly!!'....couldnt agree more... :). I find it very amusing though.

Raaga said...

"None of us are experts in the language"

Correction: None of is an expert :-)

Go ahead appreciate me... make my day :-)

Pretty Woman said...

hey raaga!
you are much appreciated...of course! But i think it is 'none are experts' rather than 'none of us are experts'...right?

Raaga said...

none is an expert :) I stand by what I said.

Anonymous said...

Good words.