Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2019

While at the gym!

I am one of those unlucky ones, who just needs to look at food, I'll put on weight. I am also "blessed" with hormonal imbalances and slow metabolism. So I try to live an active and healthy lifestyle; working out at the gym is my persistent attempt to persevere and stay healthy. 


I head to the gym, equipped with good music, comfortable workout clothes and my kindle too! Often, I choose my choice of "repetitive torture" and invariably end up watching people. You come across such a variety of entertaining people that these tools are often forgotten! Let's get this out of the way, yes! it's great all these people ( yours-truly included) make an effort to stay fit and prioritize some time at the gym in the middle of a busy day! These are just light-hearted observations of people, you don't need to get offended...if you do, please feel free to click on the X button at the top-right corner! 

1. The Rabid Runners
They are perennially on the treadmill running so fast; at such high intensity that the room is filled with the rattling noise. They are sweating it out in buckets, literally! I look at them in exasperation while torturing myself on the elliptical and wondering when I will ever reach those levels of stamina.

2. The Pinterest Pupil
...and then there are those who constantly look at their mobiles to follow a certain sequence of workouts. I take a peek (while humbly picking up a 1 or 2 kg dumbbell) at the super-fit-chick's mobile, who does handstands, burpees, lifts, squats and what-not...and realize that the virtual instructor is Pinterest! ....aah, the many advantages of the world-wide-web, eh?

3. The Spirited Sanitizers
...I am very amused at these people. Before they begin working out, they will obsessively sanitize every equipment religiously - the screen, the handles etc. While I understand that it is good hygiene and is also common courtesy to keep it clean for the next person, it is highly entertaining to see how paranoid people can get, in a place where you expect people to sweat-it-out! To me, it is over-sanitized! 

4. The Passionate Fashionate
....always seen in the most trendy and hip athletic wear, better known as athleisure wear in recent times. Their workout clothes are a perfect fit; extremely flattering and provides "inspiration" to commoners like me. The legs have transparent panels, the sports bras are in trending,neon colours screaming for your attention or they already have flat, toned abs in those leggings that you feel like they probably live at the gym!

Sometimes, there are some really skimpily dressed men in tiny shorts and singlets that make me squirm. Irrespective of the weather, their clothes are uncomfortably short. In addition, they will direct the fan towards them when the air conditioner is full on blowing cold air. Go figure!

5. The Music Mavens
...I can relate to this group a lot! I can't survive working out without good music. I have "inspiring tracks" to keep me going or some moving melodies to relax me, at times. I go into panic mode if the phone charge is low and I am unsure if it will last until I finish my workout time. I am also someone who will stop working out in the middle to change tracks or ensure my headphones are in place, before I do anything else. The headphones and phone are of prime importance to go to the gym. I have observed a few others who are in tandem with me. 

6. The Manic Multitaskers
...those who try to squeeze in as many tasks as possible while walking on the treadmill or puffing away at high speed on the elliptical. I have noticed many people catch up on calls ( I am guilty of doing that too!), check e-mails, messages, whatsapp ( of course!), watch videos on Youtube and even read books. 

If you fall into any of these categories, don't take yourself too seriously. Go ahead and have a hearty laugh!

1 comments:

Gowri said...

Nice one Janani! Made me smile! Good humour! :)