Until a couple of years ago, I had no clue about make up or eyeshadows or any of the paraphernalia that is available in the market, and most definitely would not know what an eyelash curler is....reminds me of the girls making fun of Anne Hathaway in The Devil wears Prada! Of course, I did use the occasional foundation/eyeliner/lipstick on occasions...nothing more than that!
Anyway, after we moved to Paris, I couldn't help but notice all the beautiful colors around me and especially, when you see all the lovely cosmetics laid out beautifully in every store - the girl in me has to stop and look, evince interest and finally BUY! ;).
So many women wear the right makeup here and it enhances their gorgeous faces and I changed my mind. I am slowly building up my collection from MAC (gasp!) and I must admit, I just love getting ready for work and can't wait to put on all the colors in the palette!!!!! :D
Though many people tend to pooh-pooh make up, I truly believe its an art! Its akin to a painting, except its your face or personality. You can wear a different persona every other day! I just have fun with it, the key is not to take it too seriously.
Of course, I am definitely not one of those people who refuses to go out sans make up. I do believe, I am naturally beautiful, both outside and from within...but then life would be boring, if it was all plain and vanilla?...make up adds that colour and makes your features 'pop'!
I tried a smoky eye and after much deliberation decided to put it up here, just for kicks! :) It needs a lot of practice to get a finished look, I know... I will get there....soon!
Edited to add:
Stylish and Chic! ( In my personal opinion and stuff I have learnt over the years...)
- Do not pluck your eyebrows into a thin line, it makes you look worn out and older - You do NOT want that, I am sure!
- Refrain from wearing clothes with rhinestones and stay away from plastic earrings or any other accessory - they are really tacky!
- Puff sleeves and jackets or blazers with paddings are a big no-no, unless you are really tiny and petite! They are not flattering in any sense, even if the fashion magazines make it out to be a major trend!
- Waist coats are a very classy way to brighten up a dull top or sweater - my personal favorite and style (if you have noticed!). They are very fashionable and practical too!
- I fill up an empty spraying bottle with rose water to clean my face - it is a great cleansing medium, keeps you feeling fresh and moisturizes as well!
- The Holy grail - Moisturize, Moisturize and MOISTURIZE!