Pages

Friday, August 21, 2026

You are Fourteen and Fierce!

 ...as you should be! ( just not with me though!)

Every year, I write to you on your birthday, as you turn a year older, time passes by in a flash. I must add that I am also learning from you as a mother. 

 

I am happy that you feel free to openly discuss how I can change the way I talk to you, and it's mostly said nicely. For example, I am outspoken and often say what I mean as-is. You have taught me to have some restraint and express myself kindly. You have had your share of problems; in friendships, a few misunderstandings, different or conflicting perspectives and strong personality clashes. 

You have learnt so much from that. I can see a marked change in your character - you are very mature, you seem to know how to handle conflicts, when to say something or stay silent. As your Amma, I am amazed at how patiently you listen to people when they talk. Of course, when Appa and I reprimand you, lecture you or ask you to do some work - you can easily glaze over our words. That's also a special talent, indeed!

We have both passed on our love for music to you, so much so that you need to listen to music perenially - when you have a shower, studying, travelling, MTR, and now ferry as well. Earlier, Appa and I would fight over whose music plays when we are travelling by car or when we are relaxing at home, over the weekends. You are the newest contendor...I do like some of your music when i am working out or need some motivation. Indian classical music training continues and I genuinely hope you develop a real interest as you grow. You won this year for the second time, at 'Star Search' in Vocals Solo. We chose the song together - 'Roar' by Katy Perry. I'd love for you to sing a classical song but you insist noone will understand the music or lyrics. I let it go :) I want you to sing what your heart feels, and happily - that's your choice.

We spend every waking minute with each other and enjoy conversations on myriad topics. Yet you insist that I didn't hug you all day!!! Our weekend rituals of board games, simply cuddling and teasing Appa, our beauty regime as Appa is engrossed in F1 races are the simple joys of life I genuinely love and cherish :)

We have moved yet again, this time, its a welcome move. You have taken to the lifestyle change like fish to water...you are thriving here, on the other island. You have been so excited and planned for a long time to decorate your room! I can see so much of me in you, in that sense! So much joy in enjoying the little things in life - am glad you got that from me :)

'The Trifecta' is a force to reckon with and the core that drives our group is very much you. We are all very excited to celebrate your 14th birthday, my love...as I always tell you, you are my dream come true. I can't stop thinking about how you will move away for college /study further...ha ha ha...that's how life flows...We love you and can't wait to see you learn, grow, enjoy, live life to the fullest! 



loving hugs and squishy kisses,
Amma

...14 and fierce, 14 and free-hearted, 14 and flourishing, 14 and a fashionista, indeed! 

In my customary guest appearance on Amma's birthday ode this year, I want to start by telling you that I'm a big fan. I admire the young girl that you've grown into - a bit of me, a bit of Amma and a whole lot of your own persona. I sometimes wonder how it is that you are so much like Amma and are so different from her at the same time. 

We may talk a bit less than we used to as you grow but there is always much to share with you and learn from you everyday. Beginning this year in our new home in Hong Kong, I look forward to exploring and travelling as much as possible before you head off into the world. I have even started enjoying goofing off, thanks to your persistence for me to join you in shenanigans - you even made me dance in an insta video! (Psst...I secretly enjoy you and Amma fighting over who should hold my hand when we go for our walk.)

When I was 14, I discovered two major influences that I have carried with me till today - Heavy Metal music and Stephen King 😇. I wish you similarly fulfilling and transformative experiences this year (your taste in music could use a "glow up" 😅). 

Wish you a fabulous 14th birthday! We love you with all our hearts. 

Lots of love,
Appa


0 comments: